Tuesday, 27 March 2018
09:00 AM - 02:00 PM
blueprint, 2/F, Dorset House, Taikoo Place, 979 King's Road, Quarry Bay
Registration and morning cuppa
Screen chat: Deep-dive into Asia’s start-up ecosystem- How does Hong Kong stack-up?
This session will discuss why the five Asian cities made it to the top 20 of The Global Startup Ecosystem Ranking in 2017 in terms of performance, funding, market reach, talent and startup experience. What can Hong Kong do to step up her game?
Speaker: JF Gauthier, Founder and CEO, Startup Genome (via video conferencing from San Francisco)
Debate: Can Silicon Valley’s start-up ecosystem be replicated in Hong Kong?
- How to become Silicon Valley’s unicorns instead of the walking dead failures?
- How can the ‘fail fast, fail often’ mentality exist in Hong Kong?
- How to tackle the challenge of closing the angel funding gaps?
- How to expand the start-up’s market reach in “going global”?
- How to close the talent gap and catch up with global know-hows?
- Peter Mok, Head of Incubation and Acceleration Programmes , Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks Corporation
- Ray Chan, Co-founder, 9GAG
- Paul Lee, Co-founder, Ximplar
- Tak Lo, Managing Partner, Zeroth
- Sum Wong, Founder, EventXtra
Start-up case studies
- 10:30 AM: The tech revolution/AI is here and how start-ups are leading the way
- 10:50 AM: Get the real scoop of women-led start-ups and how it's shaking up the start-up ecosystem
(Speaker: Ines Gafsi, Co-founder, Female Entrepreneurs Worldwide)
Q&A for morning session speakers
China-focused case studies
- 11:40 AM: Strengthening the start-up ecosystem in the Greater Bay Area
(Speaker : Stephen Liang, Assistant Executive Director, Hong Kong Trade Development Council)
- 11:55 AM: Challenges and successes in growing the hardware ecosystem in Shenzhen
(Speaker: Duncan Turner, Managing Director, HAX)
Panel: How start-up clusters can build global connectivity together
- Why Hong Kong start-ups and investors need global connectedness?
- How can Hong Kong start-up community collaborate with other start-up hubs to build a global network?
- Josh Munro, Executive Vice President, APAC, Megaport
- Dr. Toa Charm, Chief Public Mission Officer, Hong Kong Cyberport Management Company Limited
- Jay McCarthy, Co-founder & Partner, SparkLabs Global Ventures
- Wang Tse, CEO and Co-founder, Campfire Collaborative Spaces
Q&A for afternoon session speakers
End of conference